Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ListenDaily – 01 November 2010: Be Thou my Vision

ListenDaily – 01 November 2010: Be Thou my Vision
Hello friends,

I decided to take a short break from writing this summer, as my family was involved in buying a house. Buying turned into moving, then came the summer mission trip, a visit to my parents, back to school for my kids and myself, and shoulder surgery, and oh, so many other lame excuses.
I was so moved by one of our choir’s anthems yesterday that I had to write about it—so here we go. They did a beautiful rendition of Be Thou my Vision, with a wonderful piano and brass accompaniment. If you are unfamiliar with this song, here is a nice version by Selah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOBdoNIEk8
There are five verses to this hymn, and though they are not taken from a particular piece of Scripture, the Scripture is rife throughout. We will look at one verse each day this week.

“The Story Behind ‘Be Thou My Vision’ is a very touching one. For St. Patrick’s Day, read the story behind this very moving song and consider how the pure, authentic worship of God can, does, and will move anyone who beholds it. “Be Thou My Vision” is a hymn derived from an 8th century Irish folk song. It expresses a desire for God’s hand in our lives and a longing to be in His presence. The first words are credited to Dallan Forgaill in a work entitled, Rob tu mo bhoile, a Comdi cride. Mary Bryne, in Dublin, Ireland, first translated the entire Irish folk song into English in 1905. Eleanor H. Hull converted the lyrics to “Be Thou My Vision” into verse in 1905. The folk song got its start in Ireland around 433 AD, when on the night before Easter; St. Patrick defied a royal decree by lighting candles. High King Logaire of Tara had traditionally lit a fire beginning a pagan spring festival. It was his order that no one could light a fire before him on this night. When Logaire learned of St. Patrick’s arrogance and beheld the singing of ‘Be Thou My Vision’, he was so impressed he let him continue services. Because of St. Patrick’s bravery, or perhaps ignorance, ” Be Thou My Vision” has come from being a simple folk song to a hymn that is known for its gentleness. It is through tales such as these, time seems to disappear when we are confronted with the work of an Almighty God.” (from http://vesselproject.com/2010/03/05/be-thou-my-vision/)

The first verse:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Let us paraphrase and draw meaning from plainer if less poetic words:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart; Lord, be my vision, be all that I see and may I see all as You see it.
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art. You are everything to me, may everything else be as nothing.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night, All day long, of all the things. that enter my mind, You are the absolute best.
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light. Whether awake or asleep, You are the Light of my world.
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. Revelation 21:23

Questions:
1. Have you ever taken the time to ‘decipher’ this hymn?
2. Have you done it with others?
3. Mine is not a definitive interpretation, what does this hymn say to you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May we keep listening. Jim.
INTERESTING THOUGHTS:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: