Friday, November 5, 2010

ListenDaily – 05 November 2010: Know!

ListenDaily – 05 November 2010: Know!

Hello friends,

Greetings! Today we will look at the fifth and last verse of Be Thou My Vision. I appreciate your indulgence as I strayed from the usual focus on Scripture, but I was led to do this, this week.

If you are unfamiliar with this song, here is a nice version by Selah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOBdoNIEk8


The fourth verse:

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to look at these lines out of order - it won't rhyme - but we'll put it back before we sing it!

O bright Heaven’s Sun!

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." Revelation 21:23

Heart of my own heart,

"This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." 1 John 3:19-23


whatever befall, still be my Vision,

Lord, be my vision, still, no matter what happens, Lord still, still be all that I see and may I still see all as You see it. "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Ephesians 6:13

O Ruler of all. High King of Heaven,

“As I live, says the LORD, every knee shall bow to Me..." Romans 14:11 "God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords..." 1 Timothy 6:15 "These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Revelation 17:14



my victory won,

“Death has been swallowed up in victory.” "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Cor. 15:54 & 57) "Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world." (1 John 5:4) Friends, this victory, your victory, is already won! Which is why...

May I reach Heaven’s joys,

Which is why I must say this. And this is not a criticism, I understand these words, and the time in which they were written. But - and I only say this because it is so very important - there is no "may". One is either saved or not. And you can know! "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." (1 John 5:13) "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13) I don't want to make too much of this, but I hear this kind of talk regularly, from people in the church. Scripture after Scripture tells us how to be saved and that we can be assured that we are. Be assured! And if, right now, you are not absolutely sure of your eternity, call or write me, let's talk about it.


Questions:
1. So, what do you think?
2. Find a quiet place, read and maybe even sing this entire hymn( lyrics below). Any new thoughts after this week's readings?
3. Are you sure of your salvation?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May we listen and pray as we sing. Jim

INTERESTING THOUGHTS:

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: