Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ListenDaily – 02 November 2010: Be Thou my Wisdom h

ListenDaily – 02 November 2010: Be Thou my Wisdom
Hello friends,

As you may have read yesterday, one of our choirs did a beautiful rendition of Be Thou my Vision, and it inspired me to wrote about that hymn.

If you are unfamiliar with this song, here is a nice version by Selah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOBdoNIEk8

The second verse:
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Paraphrased and Scripture-ized:
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word; As the Scriptures tell us, and as we know, at least intellectually, God is far wiser than we are, and He desires to lead us. When we sing “Be Thou my Wisdom” I think we are pledging to live out that which we believe. To acknowledge Him and His wisdom in our every day lives. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:9

I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord; Again, when we sing this, are we not declaring to believe what Jesus said? “Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.“* And are we not agreeing to follow Paul’s instruction to “Pray without ceasing“**? For if God is ever with us, are we not in constant communication with Him? (*Matthew 28:20, **1 Thessalonians 5:17)

Thou my great Father, I Thy true son; “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God — children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” John 1:12-13

Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one. What an amazing statement this is! Let us not just say or sing it lightly! We are saying that the almighty, all-knowing, omnipotent, omniscient, Creator, Jehovah God has taken up residence with us, inside us. This is true for us as individuals, if we have accepted it. And, oh my, to sing this in a group, a choir or a congregation, and to say in one voice that the Holy Spirit of God makes us one in Him.

“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20 “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” 1 Corinthians 6:19

Questions:
1. Have you ever taken the time to ‘decipher’ this hymn?
2. Have you done it with others?
3. Mine is not a definitive interpretation, what does this hymn say to you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May we recognize the power He brings within us. Jim.
INTERESTING THOUGHTS:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: