Thursday, November 20, 2008

ListenDaily - 20 November 2008; What does it look like?

ListenDaily - 20 November 2008; What does it look like?
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

...be transformed by the renewing of your mind... Renew has a variety of related definitions, but the one that I think applies here is "to restore to a prior state".

Change your shape - by restoring your mind to a prior state. The "prior state" would not be some time earlier in your own life but, I think, to the state in which God created man's mind to be. What might that look like?
Consider these (not an exhaustive list) examples. It would be focused on God; Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' Matthew 22:37 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Mark 8:33

It would be understanding of the Scriptures: Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. Luke 24:45

It would not be divisive, but unifying and helpful: All the believers were one in heart and mind. Acts 4:32 Make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. Romans 14:13 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 1 Corinthians 1:10

It would understand the relationship between God, man, and sin: So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. Romans 7:25 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. Romans 8:5 The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Romans 8:7 But we have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16It would full of life and peace: The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

It will pray: I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 1 Corinthians 14:15

It will have God's Law: "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." Hebrews 10:16

Change your shape - by restoring your mind to a prior state.
Tomorrow: Renewing your mind...God's help; your decision
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:
1. Do any of these attributes cause a reaction in your mind?
2. How do you get your mind to be renewed?
3. Are there areas in your life not yet transformed?

INTERESTING THOUGHTS:
"Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater.
Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it."William Hazlitt

"A state of mind that sees God in everything is
evidence of growth in grace and a thankful heart."Charles Finney

"The Gospel that represents Jesus Christ,
not as a system of truth to be received, into the mind,
as I should receive a system of philosophy, or astronomy,
but it represents Him as a real, living, mighty Savior, able to save me now."Catherine Booth

"When a man has quietly made up his mind
that there is nothing he cannot endure, his fears leave him."
Grove Patterson

"If we have not quiet in our minds,
outward comfort will do no more for us than
a glass slipper on a gouty foot."John Bunyan
"The mind of him that worketh ill is not always corrupt;
but the mind of him that defendeth evil is ever corrupt."Lancelot Andrewes

No comments: