Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ListenDaily - 17 February 2010: Rising from the ashes

ListenDaily - 17 February 2010: Rising from the ashes

Today’s edition is coming out a little later in the day than usual, and for that, I apologize…but it has been a busy day. I went to my church at 5 a.m. to set up lights, music, ashes, and oil. We offer the imposition of ashes twice on Ash Wednesday, in addition to tonight’s service. The first setting was from 6 – 7:30 this morning.

The church building is a different place at 5 a.m. And wonderful. Shortly after six, the first person came in to receive ashes, one of my best buddies, Joe. I have been asking God to show me His glory, and as I saw Joe go back to a pew, the only other person in a 600+ capacity sanctuary, God graced me with a glimpse.

This was repeated as others came in, one or two at a time. I was especially moved by the presence of my daughter’s best friend, Emily and her mother, Diane, as they came in to worship together. Each time I gently touched someone’s forehead with ashes and oil, then watched them go to a pew or to the altar and pray, no one watching them, not filling any squares or obligations to other people, simply spending time in the presence of the Holy Spirit, I sensed God saying to me; ‘There you go. That glorifies me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quiet time questions:

1. Will you ask God, every morning until Easter, to give you His Spirit?
2. Will you ask God, every morning until Easter, to show you His glory?
3. Will you make these pleas from your soul, not rote repetitions?


INTERESTING THOUGHT:

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling 'darkness' on the wall of his cell."
C.S. Lewis

No comments: