Tuesday, February 16, 2010

ListenDaily - 16 February 2010: Mountain climbing with Moses

ListenDaily - 16 February 2010: Mountain climbing with Moses

Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people." The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?" And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name." Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." Exodus 33: 12-18

There are terms in Scripture that I cannot begin to understand; that’s ok with me. The chronicles of Moses’ encounters with God talk about God’s “Presence” and His “Glory”. I can understand those things to an extent, but these are things that overwhelmed Moses, and blew away the people who saw Moses afterwards.

But, whether I understand it or not – I want to experience something like this. Moses was unique in history, and I would not expect any experience to be like his, I’m just another guy…but…what reason is there to not seek God out in the way Moses sought Him? Before Moses was “MOSES”, he was, well, just another guy. I don’t want to be Moses, but I do want to be the person God wants me to be. Don’t you?

Jesus promised us the Holy Spirit, and that the Spirit would guide, intercede for, comfort, and teach us. We are entering the season of Lent, and whether your tradition has been to observe Lent in some specific way, or not at all, will you come on this journey with me? Will you spend some time, daily, and try to see further, or in a new way, what God’s design is for us to seek His presence, to see His glory?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quiet time questions:

1. Will you ask God, every morning until Easter, to give you His Spirit?
2. Will you ask God, every morning until Easter, to show you His glory?
3. Will you make these pleas from your soul, not rote repetitions?


INTERESTING THOUGHT:

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling 'darkness' on the wall of his cell."
C.S. Lewis

No comments: