Tuesday, February 2, 2010

ListenDaily - 02 February 2010: How still?

ListenDaily - 02 February 2010: How still?

God says: “Be still and know that I am God." [Psalm 46:10]

I wonder, how still do I have to be? I talk about a little less TV, a little less running around -- but how still is still enough?

To be honest, some days are better than others. Some days I get up and grab my Bible, pray, read, and pray some more. I probably don't do that enough. Some days are relaxed, contemplative, and I get a sense of God's love and peace in that.

Then there are 'other days', days of appointments, classes, and meetings. Run, run, run. Yesterday and today are like that. Last night we held a viewing for an eight year old boy; today I will try to offer some words of comfort to his family, then we will leave the church and ride to the cemetery. Hundreds and hundreds of people came last night, and will today. It will be busy, and sad, and...

...and as I sit here in my office, my very messy office, taking the few extra minutes I have today to write to you, God has given me a great gift. He is here. He is allowing me, maybe causing me, to be still. And in this stillness I know God. I know Him. And, not because of my efforts, but like the Casting Crowns song says:

"Not because of who I am, but because of what you've done. Not because of what I've done, but because of who you are."

My prayer for you is for your stillness...for your knowing.

Amen, may it be so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please pray for Ethan's family and friends, especially the children. http://dmvobits.com/posts.cfm?st=9&obit=31213

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:

1. How long has it been since you took time to “be still” before God?
2. Is it hard for you to “be still” for a length of time?
3. Do you ever feel like you know God?


INTERESTING THOUGHT:

"Human things must be known to be loved: but Divine things must be loved to be known."
Blaise Pascal

No comments: