Friday, May 29, 2009

ListenDaily - 29 May 2009: The True Vine

ListenDaily - 29 May 2009: The True Vine

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. John 15:1-8 NKJV (find any passage at www.Biblegateway.org)


What a powerful passage this is! I would like to spend a few days with it. When we were studying John 8:31-32, my good friend Melissa alerted me to the usage of the word 'abide' in the NKJV, and she also referred to this passage, which has been the inspiration behind this study.

Jesus says: “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser."
Interesting...the Father -- the Vinedresser -- 'planted' the Vine here on Earth.

He grew, He grew in wisdom and stature.

He began His ministry, and His Body began to grow. He added 'branches', James, Peter, Mary, Martha -- later came Paul -- later you began to grow on the Vine.
How does that make you feel?.

Abide...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

1. How do you imagine Jesus as the Vine? 2. How do you see yourself attached to Him? 3. How do you abide?


INTERESTING THOUGHTS:
"The branch of the vine does not worry,and toil,
and rush here to seek for sunshine, and there to find rain.
No; it rests in union and communion with the vine;
and at the right time, and in the right way,
is the right fruit found on it. Let us so abide in the Lord Jesus."
Hudson Taylor

No comments: