Wednesday, May 6, 2009

ListenDaily - 06 May 2009: Really? Really!

ListenDaily - 06 May 2009: Really? Really!

Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NIV)
Jesus said... “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (NKJV)
John 8:31-32 (find any passage at www.Biblegateway.org)

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples."

The common-use definition of the word 'really' has changed over time. We now use it to show degree; 'it was kind of hot yesterday, today it is really hot.' But that is a misuse of the word. 'Really' means actually, or genuinely. Something really is; or it is not at all. Someone really is; or they are not at all.

So then, one is "really a disciple" or not a disciple of all. One cannot be 'sort of' or 'kind of' a disciple.

I am sure many followed Jesus as He traveled, and for many reasons. Some people always followed a crowd. Some went along for personal gain. Others hung around the fringes, but without making a commitment. But how many were really His disciples?

Today's church deals with the same issues. Some people always follow the crowd. Some go along for personal gain. Others hang around the fringes, but without making a commitment. But how many are really His disciples?

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples."

"Anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:27

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:

1. What does 'really a disciple' mean to you? 2. Are you walking in that direction? 3. What developments or changes might you need to make?

INTERESTING THOUGHTS:

""We may note in passing that He was never regarded as a mere moral teacher.
He did not produce that effect on any of the people who actually met Him.
He produced mainly three results---Hatred---Terror---Adoration.
There was no trace of people expressing mild admiration."
C.S. Lewis

I believe I never was more acceptable to my Master
than when I was standing to teach those hearers in the open fields
I now preach to ten times more people than I would if I had been confined to the churches.
George Whitefield


"God has given us two ears, but one tongue,
to show that we should be swift to hear, but slow to speak.
God has set a double fence before the tongue, the teeth and the lips,
to teach us to be wary that we offend not with our tongue."
Thomas Watson

"To teach in order to lead others to faith
is the task of every preacher and of each believer."
Thomas Aquinas

"Nature teaches us to love our friends,
but religion our enemies."
Thomas Fuller Fuller

"Everything science has taught me---
and continues to teach me---
strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death.
Nothing disappears without a trace."
Wernher Von Braun

No comments: