Thursday, February 23, 2012

Seek God for the City - Day 2 - Heart and soul

We continue to Seek God for the City, a blessed prayer initiative from WayMakers .


Our weekly focus is Praying through hope; Revival of the church.  Under that umbrella, today has, like each of the forty days will have, a specific action, a specific people group, and a specific geographic region that we are praying for.  


Today, we are seeking God, specifically, to break through our pride and complacency.  We are seeking him on behalf of married people, and we are seeking Him on behalf of the Americas and the Caribbean.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But how do we do that?  How do we seek God?  How do we do that?

Deuteronomy 4:29 says "...if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find Him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul...."


In days to come, we'll look at some specifics - but let me ask this question:  How do you look for your car keys?  Let me break that down.  If you came home on Friday afternoon, had no Friday evening or Saturday plans, and noticed your keys were't hanging from the usual hook, how would you look for them?


Now let's suppose it's Monday morning, you have a twenty minute drive to be at work by eight, it's twenty two minutes before eight, you grab your jacket, reach for the keys - and they aren't there.  Now, how do you look.


OK, I am not suggesting that we look for God frantically, or in a rush...after all, the Scriptures tell us to be still in order to know God.  But I am suggesting urgency.  I am encouraging fervency.  


Yesterday's focus people group was youth.  Today's involves married people.  


I know some great kids and bet you do too.  I know some great marriages. 


I also know that we've had a stunning rash of teenage suicides in our area.  And I know that more marriages end in divorce than not.  


How do you feel we need to seek God for youth?  For marriages?  Can it wait until next Sunday morning's worship service?  Is it OK if we leave it to the pastor?


I don't think so...I think we need to do it now.  


So, be still.  Know God.  But do it now.  Do it with urgency and fervency.  The troubled kids, the troubled spouses need help.  Won't you join me and seek God on their behalf?  After all, "... you will find him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul...."

No comments: