Thursday, May 5, 2011

ListenDaily: An interesting morning

It was an interesting morning.

God summoned me.

No, really. I woke up a little after four and felt the call to go downstairs and pray. I was sleepy and rolled over. Call it “Scripture” or call it a “Bible verse”, but remember it’s God’s Word, and the Word that exploded into my mind was “Couldn’t you keep watch with me for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak… He again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. Are you still sleeping and resting?”

So, downstairs I went and submitted myself in prayer. I felt the Holy Spirit moving, asking – no – telling me not to love God only when I felt that He had done something in my best interest. He reminded me, that while circumstances are often brought about by people with other than the best interests of the world (the nation, the city, me, the church, whatever) in mind, that He is indeed sovereign. And He spoke to me through His Word again, reminding me of my own teaching that “love”, as in loving God and others, is not a feeling but a verb, an action. He also reminded me that “in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Some of those “all things” are good things, some neutral, some are bad things, the result of living in a fallen world. The good, bad, or neutral nature of the circumstance has no bearing on God’s ability. And it is He who calls me. My role in this “all things” affair is to love Him.

I protested. Once again, the Word spoke, but this time He placed Peter’s words in my mouth: “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” But the response was not “feed my sheep” it was “this is love for God: to keep his commands.”

I had some question about time; the Spirit told me “I own time.” I stayed there on the floor and listened for what seemed like a few minutes, but ended up to be an hour and a half. I had a 6 a.m. meeting for which I was ten minutes late. It was OK, because, like I said…

…it was an interesting morning.

1 comment:

Doug said...

You have the right attitude brother.