Monday, April 11, 2011

Too weak to work

ListenDaily: Too weak to work
Rest & Recuperation, Rehab & Therapy
(This message is also available at: http://pastorjimdorton.blogspot.com/)

Sometimes our post-surgery time includes physical therapy. A therapist will prescribe a certain routine to help return the injured and repaired part of your body back to optimum strength. On occasions, you might show up at therapy, just plain worn out, weak, and unable to perform the routine. On some of those occasions, the therapist will put you in a relaxed position and, in his capable hands and move your arm or leg or shoulder through specific movements, strengthening you even when you are too weak to do so on your own.

If you have ever read any of my emails, blog, or Facebook posts, you might have seen me quote Hudson Taylor, who said; ” I am so weak. I can't read my Bible. I can't even pray. I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child and trust." I have felt that way for a few days. Between my physical ailments and some other (nothing life-threatening) circumstances, I felt what the great missionary was saying. I started this a few times, without being able to complete it. I guess I’d have to add, “I can’t even write.”

But the Word of God cries out to me.

“Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13

“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This is a common thread through my preaching. Rejoicing for always, whatever else is going on, always are we in the hand of God. Praying without ceasing; not always on my knees but always being aware of His presence. These two things help keep me from forsaking God. And while God does not promise to change my circumstances, but He has promised to never leave or forsake me in any of them.

His response to my circumstance is always the best thing for me, whether I can see that or not.

And in the midst of my weakness, God is never weak. As the prophet Isaiah said, God is never weak or weary, but gives strength to those who are and who wait upon him, then we can walk, run, and soar on wings like eagles’!

” I am so weak. I can't read my Bible. I can't even pray. I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child and trust."
And in His capable hands, I find peace, rest, and strength!

Shalom, Pastor Jim

No comments: