Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolutions Resolved

http://www.photomosaic.com/samples/large/ChristFromNature.jpg



1When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:1-2 (NIV)

It is that time of the year...time to make those New Year's resolutions, read more, eat less, exercise more...so on and so on. Different people making different resolutions for different reasons.

But as Christians we share a common ground, a common faith, and some commonality for resolution-making. I have encouraged the congregation at my church to consider starting, or increasing five things:

1) Reading the Bible daily
2) Becoming involved in Bible study
3) Developing a sense of the reality of God's constant presence through increased communication with Him (yes, prayer)
4) Doing their Christianity, acting out their faith

5) Developing personal worship beyond the church service, in "spirit and truth".

These and any other resolutions can really come down to Paul's resolution: "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." Or, streamlined: "I resolved to know nothing except Jesus."

How's that for a resolution?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions

1. Surely Paul 'knew' other things...what do you think he meant by this?

2. What would it mean for you to now nothing but Jesus?

3. What can you commit to doing, for a week, month, or year, to help you know Jesus better?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote of the Day
"Resolved, never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life." Jonathan Edwards

No comments: